Sunday 20 July 2014

I'm Back...With a Vengence!

After taking a week off to 'recover' I've been putting in the miles again. Starting with a training ride on Monday and Tuesday. Monday's ride was a quick spin with a couple of guys from the club, the winds made it especially hard and having created the route I spent most of the time on the front, meaning I got a good workout. Tuesday was a race team ride with Tom and James, after pulling my fair share at the start, I had to sit on the back for the final third as the pace was too high for me to maintain. We averaged 31.9 km/h on a route which included Tom's Hill and the backside of Ivinghoe Beacon, followed by Billington hill - my nemesis of climbs.

Wednesday was an opportunity to test my form as James suggested an impromptu time trial on the Tring course, which has a reputation for being fast. Upon arrival we were informed that the course has recently been resurfaced, as a result it isn't quite as fast as it used to be. However the air was completely still and so fortunately there was no wind to deal with.

The result was that I set a new PB, breaking the 24 minute mark by just two seconds. Despite the new PB I was slightly disappointed as I felt I should have gone faster at the start. I held back as I wasn't sure how my form was, and it was only after being passed by my minute man after 2 miles that I realised I was pacing the ride awfully. It might also have had something to do with the fact that I was riding without any sort of speedometer, riding purely on feel. After a PB perhaps I'll ride blind more often!

With the school holidays having started I'm looking forward to an exciting week of training in preparation for this Thursday's race.

No comments:

Post a Comment